Sunday, May 28, 2006

Contemplations

I was thinking a lot today. I drifted off more then I usually do...I kept thinking... thought, after thought, after thought...a whole bunch of random stuff..
One that stuck to me...for a long time now, is the fact that so many of us Muslims seem to be so ashamed about ourselves, it’s quite saddening…
I went shopping with my dad today (lol..i know..I went with daddy... but I'm as broke as it gets) and I saw this Muslim woman with her little baby and a toddler, she was walking down the streets of South Edmonton Common, with her head up high and a big smile as she saw my father and I. It’s always comforting to be acknowledged by a random Muslim on the street : )
I watched her for awhile until I could no longer see her, but as I watched, I wished so badly that I could be like her. People, mostly men, think that the longer we wear hijab, the easier it gets. True, true (for some), but I’ve been wearing it since the first grade and it only got harder by the time I hit 11/12 yrs old. I think it was 9/11…that definitely shook up Toronto. It was so intense, that the teachers would be watching it in the middle of class, as it was happening. The next day people started asking me if I was from Afghanistan. (lol) …sometimes I would say yes, sometimes no, it wasn’t really considered lying because most of the people that were asking me already knew I wasn’t Afghani, they just did it to mess with me I guess. Like I was saying, yeah, I ain’t gon lie to anyone, but wearing the hijab is definitely the hardest thing… for me. Hijab is not necessarily just the veil on a woman’s head, it could also be described as the “whole” outfit (ex: abaya, jilbab etc) so yeah…it’s more my pick of outfit that I’m having such a hard time to adjust to, but it always helps me to remember a piece of advice given by a friend: that pleasing people isn’t going to get you anywhere in life or the hereafter, but pleasing god will give you satisfaction and some peace within the heart, and “heaven”.
To sum that up: (keep your eye on the prize = jannah)
Last week, I think it was a Tuesday, it felt like one of those hot summer afternoons. It was 3rd period and I was in the language lab, people started asking me if I was hot wearing what I was wearing. I smiled and said that I think its all psychological, if you get your mind to believe that it's really hot, then you’ll burn, even when your wearing the smallest pair of shorts you can find and a tank top, but if you make your mind believe that it’s not as hot as it seems to be…then it wont be…simple as that.
So… I’m doing my work right, then I spotted two Muslim girls standing at the door. One smiled at me and the other was lost in her own sea of thoughts. They walked towards me, I was so focused on my work that I hadn’t noticed they walked right by me, I looked at them, it was a very quick glance. I couldn’t believe what my eyes had just seen. I was so sure… I thought I had just seen…a Muslim girl wearing a skirt, not just any skirt, a mini skirt, and not just any mini skirt, the latest version of mini skirts in the fashion industry , the ones that poof out on the ends so when you bend down you see “everything”. I couldn’t believe it, I wouldn’t believe ….I still can’t believe it…
Maybe I mixed her up with someone else…I looked very fast so it could have been my mistake, but before I had anytime to look back…she was already gone.
If what I saw was the real deal, if what I saw was a Muslim girl degrading herself to the point in which her body is for all eyes to see, then subhan’Allah.
I thought of Judgment Day too and how near it can be. So many signs have come already.
Rasool’Allah (S.A.W) mentioned many signs that will determine the nearness of “yomal qiiamat”. He(S.A.W) said : when adultery will become widespread, and the drinking of wine will become common. When Islam will become worn out like clothes are, until no one will know what fasting, prayer, charity and rituals are…when women will be wearing clothes.. but not wearing clothes ...
Time is running out...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They grow up so fast :(. I've known and seen countless number of people over the ages and amongst them, I've known and seen many younger sisters. I remember some from back when they were cute little girls in elementary school and now I run into them and I can't look directly at them because it's too much for the eyes and I tear up inside :(.

All those cheesy motivational lines you read in the books and movies ARE true. You'll never fully leave a strong imprint on people or your surroundings if you're just like everyone else. The person who leaves a mark and leaves people thinking and shook up is the person who stands firm and does his own thing. Who is willing to single himself out and leave himself open for ridicule to the masses.

Someone should tell these Muslim sisters that yes, boys will look at them and notice when they wear those types of clothes. But it's merely a fleeting glance. When we see a girl, ESPECIALLY a Muslim girl, dressed like that, we just look because we can't help our eyes for a second, then we think "what a fool, just like the rest of them".

And the Muslim sister who's modestly dressed and looks like a fleeting mirage gently floating across the landscape in a beautiful abaya and hijab? Now that, THAT, is a sight which always sticks in one's mind.

The most valuable treasures are the hidden treasures :).

12:00 a.m.  
Blogger dk said...

"The most valuable treasures are the hidden treasures."

I like, I like.

5:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooo girlll..mashalalh..i didnt know DK could write like thatt...
I loved reading it..and its all so true...keep it up..
salammmm
Hakwik

6:12 p.m.  
Blogger dk said...

not only can i write...but i can read too!
jk..thx hakwik

6:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Home sista :D

Guesss who??? Alisha, keep it up, i like, i like ;)the whole thing with the hijab thing, good reminder for me and others, something to work too,and MashaAllah your writing gives me strength and too other sisters..sista your inspiration:D

6:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahhahahahaha ok

4:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i sooooo understand wut ur talken bout...... that aint rite for that gurl to be walken like that and still call her self muslim but wut can we do about it.. nuthin really i guess but just try to educate her

4:11 p.m.  
Blogger dk said...

True, true....we can't exactly say someone is a "bad" muslim because only Allah knows what truly lies in ones heart....but we just have to be careful on how we carry ourselves as muslims ... thats kinda what i was trying to say :)
As for me educating her... I dont really know the girl enough for me o have an "actual" conversion"...its just like "hi" hello" kind of relationship. But yeah..I'll take that into consideration :)
thx "ur sister"

5:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home